Here's collection of links for reading. Bottom Line: Never leave a space heater unattended.
Springfield Fire Department: Unattended space heater with inadequate extension cord cause of Indian Orchard blaze
NSEG Space Heater Safety Tips
- Choose models that have automatic safety switches that turn off the heater if it is tipped over accidentally.
- Do not overload circuits.
- Never leave the heater unattended and never leave the house or go to bed without turning off the heater. Always turn off and unplug the heater when it's not being used.
- Keep the cord and heater away from high traffic areas.
- Never use electric space heaters with an extension cord.
- Read and follow all manufacturer's instructions.